Central Western Plains: Brewarrina Aboriginal Reserve in photograph album of NSW Aboriginal reserves, c 1910
Full catalogue record available online at: http://archival.sl.nsw.gov.au/Details/archive/110352940.
The Brewarrina Aboriginal Mission was the first institution formally established by the Aborigines Protection Board as part of its policy to segregate Aboriginal people. Over the years, the mission was home to Aboriginal people from many different language and cultural backgrounds. The buildings are no longer standing, but the mission site and nearby cemetery are highly significant to many Aboriginal people, including local Ngiyampaa and Murawari speakers, as a ‘place of belonging’.